Entry to full-time training at the New Zealand School of Dance is by audition. Applications to audition open on 17 June and close on 3 September 2021 at 11:59pm NZST.
- First complete the online application form
- Attend an audition in New Zealand or Australia
- Those restricted from travel may submit a digital audition video
- 2 October – Wellington – Te Whaea
- 7 October – Melbourne – Academy of Performing Arts
- 8 October – Brisbane – Promenade Dance Studio
- 9 October – Sydney – National Institute of Dramatic Art
- 3 September – Digital audition for those under travel restrictions
We encourage those considering applying to observe classes at the School. Please note there is a fee to attend the audition class.
Please note: current information available to us indicates that intake for international students is not yet open for 2022. Please ensure that you keep abreast of New Zealand border restrictions and information via Immigration New Zealand.
Who should apply
Students are usually 16 to 18 years old when entering the full-time course. Exceptions may be made during the audition process.
Preference will be given to students who have attained NCEA Level 1 (Yr 11 NZ or Yr 10 Australia) and who have reached a level in classical ballet equivalent to RAD Advanced 1, IDTA Advanced level 1, BBO Advanced 1, Cecchetti Advanced 1 or BAL Intermediate.
Students are required to understand conversational English. Students who have a level of English lower than B1 of the CEFR must undertake an English language course before arriving at the School.
For those interested in full time-study at the New Zealand School of Dance, our PATHWAYS webinar is a great way to find out what it takes to apply, audition and be a student of the School.